Your skin is a protective barrier between your inner world and the outer world. The quality of your skin reflects your inner vitality and health.
VATA SKIN TYPE
The principle component of the Vata dosha is air, and air can be dry or drying. People with strong Vata dosha often have dehydrated skin, modest pores, tan easily, will tend toward feeling chilly (skin is often cool to the touch), have fine hair & fragile skin. Some people with Vata Dosha experience thinner skin that will easily wrinkle, and blood vessels may be more prominent. Skin may appear to have a grey or white cast. Vata skin types are not prone to acne.
Imbalanced Vata skin tends to be dry, flaky, particularly on the temple and around the eyes.
WHAT TRIGGERS THE VATA DOSHA SKIN TYPE ?
Since Vata skin is already dry, not moisturizing enough may result in scaly, dry, irritated patches on face and body, particularly around elbows and knees. It is important to stay hydrated – drink plenty of water and do not over indulge in foods that are drying. Eating cooked foods rather than raw, using high quality fats such as ghee, avocados, coconut and olives are helpful, best to avoid drying foods like popcorn, crackers, beans and dried fruit.
The practice of Abhyanga is essential for a Vata Skin types. Use either sesame or olive oil to massage your skin if possible for 30 minutes, then take a lukewarm bath water to help reduce dryness and flaking.
During hot summer months, dab your skin with raw milk and lukewarm milk during the winter. Dampen a cotton ball with milk and use in gentle circular motions to soften and cleanse the skin, then rinse with lukewarm water.
Face and Body Scrub:
Wheat flour or Barley Flour
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder and Sesame oil
How to use – Make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned and apply all over the face and body and leave it to dry, then take a warm shower or bath and with circular motions wipe away the scrub.
A mixture of chickpea flour and milk can be used to cleanse the skin instead of soap.
How to balance Vata
- Stay Warm
- Use mild cleansers
- Keep the skin hydrated. Moisturize immediately after cleansing.
- Avoid eating raw, uncooked foods.
- Avoid intake of beans and pulses.
- Add liberal quantity of ghee and butter in your food.
- Add sweet, sour and salty tastes in your food.
- Having regular massages helps to nourish the skin and prevent dryness.
- Meditation and proper rest are very beneficial for Vata Skin type person
PITTA SKIN TYPE
Fire and water form the basis of elements of a Pitta person. Their cheeks become warm and glowing, they can feel the heat and are often lightly freckled, have beauty marks and tan easily.
The Imbalance of Pitta in the skin can cause symptoms such as acne, redness, an oily T zone and broken capillaries.
Face MaskAs the Pitta skin is very a face mask is useful part of skin care routine.
1/4th cup of Multani Mitti / Fuller’s earth; 1 teaspoon of Rakta Chandana / Red Sandalwood Powder and 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric powder.
Make it into a paste by adding rose water and apply to the face and rinse it with cool water when it dries.
Use 2 tablespoons of Aloe vera gel and mix with a pinch of turmeric and a teaspoon of Rakta Chandana Powder / Red Sandalwood Powder.
Apply liberally on the face for 15 minutes every day.
To diminish appearance of sun spots
Mix 30 ml of Cucumber juice with a ½ teaspoon of lemon juice and a little rose water.
Moisten a cotton ball with the mixture and apply to area in need. After an hour rinse the area with lukewarm water.
Ways to balance Pitta
- Avoid hot humid weather.
- Opt for natural products to minimize irritation and inflammation.
- Add flavors which balance Pitta in your food i.e. Sweet, Astringent and Bitter
- Avoid eating hot spicy food, garlic, oily and fried food as they lead to flushing.
- Avoid drinking coffee, tea, soda and alcohol
- Add lots of fresh fruit and vegetables in the diet. For example, Cucumber, Pineapple, Kiwi, Pears etc.,
- Add lots of Protein food in your diet.
- Add a dollop of Ghee while eating food.
- Incorporate herbs such as coriander, cumin, fennel which are cooling to your body.
- Drink Coconut water which helps balance Pitta aggravation
KAPHA SKIN TYPE
A person with Kapha constitution will be dominated by Earth and water. The skin type of these individuals will be pale or have a rich olive tone, which is very smooth, soft and lustrous.
When imbalanced Kapha skin becomes sluggish, a little oily and is prone to congestion, breakouts and blackheads.
The Kapha skin can retain moisture well, that is the reason why the kapha skin people retain a youthful appearance.
Kapha skin types skin benefit from using a combination of Massage, Steam bath and Body scrubs.
MassageDo Abhyanga (self massage) with Sesame oil.
Slightly warm the oil and use massage the body for 15 minutes or 3 minutes to each body part.
Take warm bath or shower after your massage.
Face & Body Scrub
Make a paste of Triphala Powder + Yashtimadhu Root Powder (Licorice root powder) + Turmeric Powder + Rakta Chandana Powder (Red Sandalwood powder) with water and apply it liberally and scrub it off once dry and have a warm water bath.
To reduce the large pores
Mix 1 tablespoon Chickpea flour + a pinch of turmeric + 1 tablespoon of Yogurt + 3 drops of olive oil.
Make a paste of these and apply on the face and rinse off after 15 minutes.
Ways to balance Kapha
- Moderate exercise
- Cleanse your skin before going to bed.
- Avoid Milk and its products it alleviates the Kapha in the body
- Add spices to your food. Add more of Garlic, Turmeric, Ginger, fenugreek etc., so as to provide heat to the body and boost metabolism.
- Avoid eating oily foods and fried foods.
- Avoid iced drinks it puts Agni / digestive fire out.
- Add a bowl of fruits and vegetables in your diet.